My role as a postpartum doula is fluid and changes with each family and during the duration of service, depending on your current needs, from educational to emotional to physical help. I will respect you, your family, your home, and your parenting styles.
I typically support families through:
- Help developing breastfeeding skills and knowledge
- Guidance in bottle-feeding and pacifier use
- Demonstrating and supporting newborn care (soothing, bathing, burping, diapering, babywearing, cord care, sleep tips, etc.)
- Non-judgmental parent coaching
- Providing hands-on education on birth mother care to family members
- Help and education with breast pumps
- Providing information on normal newborn characteristics and developmental milestones
- Screening for hurdles such as postpartum mood disorders and breastfeeding challenges
- Helping parents learn skills that will enable them to cope with their new responsibilities
- Providing referrals to appropriate professionals and support groups
- Supporting vulnerable new parents by offering a listening, non-judgmental ear
- Assisting parents in developing their own styles of nurturing and bonding with the baby
- Supporting growth in parenting skills
- Validating the normal adjustment process
- Helping through postpartum depression and other mood disorders
- Offering suggestions for how to integrate the new baby into the family and playing with older siblings
- Fostering stronger attachments between parents, siblings and baby
- Creating a nurturing, restful atmosphere in which parents may eat, shower and nap
- Accompanying family on outings such as to the doctor's office, new parent support groups etc. (can be especially helpful with multiples or after a c-section)
- Spending time with the baby, to allow parents to have quality time with older children or each other
- Preparing healthy meals for parents and older siblings
- Performing light household tasks such as dishes and laundry
- Helping birth mother to feel more comfortable and care for her postpartum body
- Running errands such as to the grocery store or pharmacy
- Some animal care, such as feeding pets and walking dogs
Before the Birth—I am also available to:
- Help you come up with a personalized postpartum plan for your family
- Provide information on safer bottle, pacifier and toy options
- Answer questions about baby equipment choices
- Help set up your nursery, changing and feeding stations
- Provide referrals to other professionals to address specific concerns
- Provide in-home cloth diapering education
As a Postpartum Doula, I DO NOT:
I do not make decisions for you, though I may assist you by providing information and/or gently remind you of your decisions previously discussed.
I do not diagnose medical conditions or perform medical tasks (eg: administering medications, taking temperatures). I am trained in postpartum adjustment and newborn characteristics and care. If I feel there is a concern, I will advise you to contact either your or the baby’s medical care provider.
- Perform any major household tasks
- Work in homes where smoking is taking place
- Provide transportation for you or your child(ren) in my car or your car. I can, however, ride with you in your car.
Scheduling and Payment
For the most effective postpartum support I recommend a minimum of 24 hours of care on a schedule determined by us (typically 6 four-hour visits over the first two weeks). This minimum commitment of 24 hours of care is required to secure my services prior to birth.
I am normally available Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays during daytime and evening hours, in shifts of no less than 4 hours. I do have a partner doula available if you need more than 3 days (or a day I don’t offer) per week. Occasional overnight shifts may be negotiated, in shifts of no less than 8 hours. In the first couple of days after your baby is born, I will attempt to be available outside of my normal hours if needed/desired for the first 1-2 visits.
My hourly rate is $30-$35. Please contact me for detailed pricing information and specific availability. I require payment for hourly services rendered at the end of each workweek and accept cash or checks.
Links for Related Services
All images are not to be reproduced in any way.